Tuesday 16 July 2024

Bring Me My Javelin: Oh Clouds Unfold! Bring Me My Chariot of Fire! It's Paris Games next for Hollie Arnold

 

Hollie - huge gratitude to her parents

HOLLIE Arnold grew up in Grimsby playing all sorts of sport from netball to football. 

However, she never thought that one day she would be winning gold medals on the international stage.

In her own modest words words, Hollie is  just a "girl from Grimsby" - but, in fact, she is much, much more.

She is a world-beating javelin-throwing athlete  who has won accolades and medals galore - including Gold in the  Paralympics.

Later his summer, she will be heading to Paris for her fifth Paralympics determined to continue her streak of success.

In the meantime, she is keen  to inspire the younger generation to get into sport with the help of an upcoming Grimsby Fishing Heritage Centre exhibition.

The Hometown Heroes event will be held in the centre’s Muriel Baker gallery from this Saturday July 20  to Tuesday December 31, taking a look at the wonderful sporting stars North East Lincolnshire has produced over the decades.

For Hollie, who started on her journey to sporting excellence as a member of Cleethorpes Athletics Club, being asked to be a part of the prestigious exhibition came as a bolt from the blue. 

Says she: "When it was mentioned I wondered why they would want me, but it's an absolute privilege and  pleasure to be a part of it.

"It is incredibly humbling to think that what I have done is going to be sat next to some great sporting icons of our time too, but it’s such a brilliant way to celebrate the sporting achievements of local people."

One of those people is teammate and fellow Grimbarian Zac Shaw, also a successful Paralympic athlete.

Continues Hollie added: “It’s great being with Zac. 

"It would have been really daunting for him when he first came into the GB team, but as soon as he spoke I knew he was from Grimsby.

"It was great to offer him support and welcome him, and I am so proud of what he has achieved so far.

Despite a rigorous training plan which keeps her away from home for long periods,  Hollie tries to make the trip back to North East Lincolnshire whenever she can.

“I love coming home to see my family and friends, especially my grandparents.

" It’s also good to get some proper fish and chips - nobody does it like us."

Above all, Hollie she hopes the younger generation will be inspired by the exhibition.

"I was never academic at school," she says. "But sport was my passion, and it made me feel happy and invincible. 

"I just wanted to keep exploring that avenue and I hope that’s what we can pass on to those people coming to the exhibition.”

Hollie concludes with heartfelt thanks to her parents  for helping her to get to where she is today.

"None of this would be possible without team," she says. "It had not been for them  taking me here, there and everywhere to compete I would not have had the career I have today."

* Report and picture courtesy of NELC.

No comments:

Post a Comment