Tuesday 25 August 2020

IT HOWLS, SCREAMS, SHRIEKS AND WAILS - WHAT'S TROUBLING THIS NOISY BUZZARD?

                                                                                        
Thought to be struggling with an injury - the unhappy Humberston raptor


A NOISY buzzard has been a talking point among visitors to the Thorpe Park holiday village in Humberston and walkers setting out on the Tetney Trail. 

Most of the day, it remains perched, shrieking and screaming.

What ails it? According to a dog-walker, it is a young bird, calling out to its parents who have left the nesting site.

"When I first encountered it, the bird was on the ground," he says. "My girlfriend wanted to put it in a cardboard box and take it to a vet.

"We traced one in Market Rasen who was willing to have a look at it, but, when we returned, it had gone.

"I was happy about that - I'm not sure I'd want a buzzard flapping about in the back of my car.

"Anyway, as a general rule, it's often best to leave things to Nature.

"I've seen and heard the bird many times since - I've named it Boris!

"It has something wrong with its right leg, and it a very weak flyer - capable of only short distances at a time.

"I don't believe it hunts in the same way as a healthy buzzard. It probably just scavenges on dead pigeons or whatever it can find."

"It seems to be looking after itself, but its long-term prospects are probably none too good."     




No comments:

Post a Comment