Tuesday 11 January 2022

GRIMSBY PASSENGER DELIGHTED AT AWARD FOR NOTCHING UP MORE THAN 1,000 MILES

                                                                              

Cllr Swinburn - presents the certificate to Karen 

A Phone ‘n’ Ride passenger who travelled on the service 542 times and covered more than 1,100 miles in 2021  has won a prize to recognise her expeditions.

Grimsby resident Karen Oliver beat off competition to win the annual Phone ‘n’ Ride Ridership Award which goes to the passenger who uses the service most during a year.

"I’m partially sighted so I rely on this wonderful service to take me to my place of work and home again," says Karen. "Without it, I couldn’t work, let alone all the other reasons I need it for.

“I also use the bus to take me to my swimming at Grimsby Leisure Centre, to get to town for shopping and to attend my medical appointments. 

"I’m thrilled to be the winner and it’s a lovely surprise. It’s a case of use it or lose it - people need to know about and use the service or it will disappear."

Karen uses the service to get to and from Able4U - a business she set up in 2011 and which provides wet rooms, bathroom and kitchen fitting and adaptations for disabled people.

Says Cllr Stewart Swinburn, North East Lincolnshiore Council's portfolio holder for environment and transport: "The  Phone ‘n’ Ride service is a lifeline for many people by making it easier for them to go about their everyday activities.

"It plays a key part in providing other methods of transport for residents and visitors who are unable to use ordinary public transport or a private car."

Cllr Swinburn presented Karen with the award, a bouquet  and shopping voucher worth £30.

* More details about the service are at  www.phonenride.com (01472 324440 - 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.)


No comments:

Post a Comment