Thursday, 20 March 2025

Sharon to take hot seat as next chief executive of North East Lincolnshire Council

 

Sharon Root - 'vision and commitment'

SHARON Root will be next chief executive of North East Lincolnshire.

Currently the deputy chief executive, she will take the hot seat on June 1 in place of Rob Walsh who will step down from the post the previous day after 11 years at the helm.

Her appointment was confirmed at tonight's meeting of the full council.

"I have every confidence in her," said council leader Cllr Philip Jackson (Con, Waltham).

"Over the years she has proved herself as being a committed member of our senior team,  helping to guide the authority with both vision and commitment to ensure we can grow in a measured and sustainable way. 

"Her leadership will allow us to take stock, to continue our work and importantly give us time to look at the very best long-term future for North East Lincolnshire."

However, Ms Root's tenure of the role will be interim only and subject to review after 12 months.

This is because proposed re-organisation of local government within the next two to three years is expected to lead to the demise of NELC.

Ms Wroot, a qualified accountant, enjoyed a successful career in the private sector before joining North East Lincolnshire Council in 2010.

She has since fulfilled a number of senior roles including chief finance officer, executive director of place and resources and deputy chief executive.

Says Ms Wroot: "I take great pride in the work of everyone within this authority who, along with partners and stakeholders across business and the community, have a true focus on the transformation of our area while at the same time improving opportunities for all our residents.

"There is much work to do, and it is only by continuing this path that we will achieve lasting positive change.

"I should also like to take this opportunity to thank our present chief executive for his vision and his leadership. 

"Rob has set a path that I, along with my colleagues, will continue to follow."

At the meeting, a  note of dissent was sounded by Cllr Paul Henderson (Ind, Yarborough) who, while not opposing Ms Root, argued that other candidates should have been given the opportunity to apply for the post.

His comment was described as "perverse" by the council leader who said he was "disappointed" that it had been made.    

No comments:

Post a Comment