Saturday, 3 October 2026

NELC councillor steps down from role as portfolio for safer and stronger communities

                                                 

James Sawkins - the Waltham councillor has stepped down from the cabinet


A MEMBER of North East Lincolnshire Council's cabinet has "stepped away" from his his responsibilities for personal reasons.  

James Sawkins (Reform UK, Waltham) has been portfolio holder for safer and stronger communities.

Says council leader Oliver Freeston (Reform UK, Croft Baker): "I have agreed with Cllr Sawkins that  he will step away from his cabinet post. 

"Given the sensitive personal circumstances he is dealing with, I believe this is the right and responsible approach."

The leader continues: "The responsibilities he has  held will  be temporarily shared between existing cabinet members, saving council taxpayers' money. 

"As leader, I oversee all portfolios and will ensure everything remains properly covered as I have done since granting compassionate leave a few weeks ago. 

"I will set out longer-term arrangements in the next couple of weeks." 

This is the second cabinet surprise in recent weeks and follows Cllr Freeston's sacking from the  portfolio of culture, heritage and tourism, Tanya Brasted, who now sits as an Independent in the West Marsh ward.






No comments:

Post a Comment